VitiVisor: an information, prediction and advisory platform for viticulture
- Digital platform developers interested in new products and services
- Decision support companies interested in new products and services
Industry challenge: Many single output AgTech solutions exist, but they are more useful combined. Evidence collected during a pilot project revealed that the uptake of existing technologies remains relatively low in practice, with incomplete (and often paper-based) documentation of historical management actions and end-of-season outcomes, and difficulty in converting existing AgTech solutions to management actions. Barriers to wider adoption of Agtech in the wine and grape industry include:
- a narrow focus on bio-physical data streams, rather than operational decisions and/or financial data that are critical to support management actions
- insufficient attention to the inter-operability between proprietary solutions, creating ‘lock-in’ and data ownership concerns
- a limited emphasis of existing solutions on provision of guidance and advice, with most solutions focusing exclusively on information display, and
- a focus on single or small numbers of use-cases, leading many growers to require a multitude of incompatible and/or overlapping tools to manage vineyard operations.
Current opportunity: Wine Australia and The University of Adelaide (UA) are creating a ‘data to decisions’ value chain. The VitiVisor solution collates, arranges, and aggregates a wide range of farm data so that complex combinations of data can be value added, resulting in viticultural and financial data being integrated for informed decision-making to lower the cost of production. The platform provides situational awareness and prediction of the past, present and future status (to end of season) focusing initially on canopy, water and financial status. Furthermore, scenario planning and advisory functions provide growers with the ability to perform what-if scenarios and trade-offs to support their bottom line. An opportunity exists for a range of companies interested in commercialising the platform or incorporating the platform into other solutions.
Other opportunities: There is potential to expand the platform into other crops such as almonds, citrus, stone fruit and pome fruit.
Project led by
Related commercial opportunitiesSearch all commercial opportunities
Looking for engagement?
Showcase your commercialisation opportunity today.
Talk to our team to discuss how growAG. can connect your innovation to industry.
Have questions? Find answers to our most frequently asked questions on research projects, commercial opportunities, organisations and more.