MLA: 3D imaging of live cattle to increase profitability - Licensing opportunity
- Commercial partners to manufacture a new 3D cattle imaging technology under license.
P8 fat is a key indicator of market compliance in cattle, which to date is determined by eye. Non-compliance to market specifications is estimated to cost producers well over AU$51 million/year.
With combined investment from Meat & Livestock Australia (MLA), NSW Department of Primary Industries (DPI) and the University of Technology Sydney (UTS), a 3D camera system was developed to objectively measure hip height and P8 fat in Bos taurus cattle.
P8 fat can now be objectively measured in Bos taurus breeds, along with hip height, in real-time thanks to a plug-and-play 3D camera system that slots into an existing livestock race.
MLA, NSW DPI and UTS are seeking expressions of interest from interested parties to manufacture and commercialise this 3D camera system technology, as described under licence, with ongoing technical support available from the R&D team.
The system provides several key benefits:
- Instantaneous feedback on animal suitability for designated target markets.
- Several applications e.g. feedlots, commercial producers, processing facilities and more.
- Can be tailored to suit most livestock yards – the system is scalable and mobile, with ability to be towed to different sites
- Low capex and opex costs (estimated capex for basic system below $30,000).
- No direct competitors and very few substitute competitors
- Targets a domestic market of 5.88 million cattle (2022) which is set to grow over the next few years. Australia represents 4% of global beef production (2020).
- Rapid, repeatable and real-time objective assessments of cattle traits that present a hands-free alternative to current market practices.
- Automated data integration with ‘BeefSpecs’, an existing prediction tool used by the livestock industry to improve market compliance and predict meat quality traits.
To find out more about this opportunity or to get in touch go to "Enquire now"
Express interest by
Opportunity led by
Related opportunitiesSearch all opportunities
Looking for engagement?
Showcase your commercialisation opportunity today.
Talk to our team to discuss how growAG. can connect your innovation to industry.
Have questions? Find answers to our most frequently asked questions on research projects, commercial opportunities, organisations and more.