Grapevine yield forecasting
- Near-infrared spectroscopy (NIRS) manufacturers interested in new products and services
- Digital platform developers interested in new products and services
- Contractors servicing grape and wine sector interested in developing new products and services
- AI prediction and AgTech companies interested in yield prediction products and services
Industry challenge: Annual yield variability in wine grape vineyards has a significant implication for decision making. Understanding bud fruitfulness which is an element of yield prediction can support key decisions for pruning, intake scheduling for wine making and supply/demand management. This is a challenge facing vineyard and winery managers, consultants and service providers (wine and table grapes) in Australia, New Zealand, North America, Europe, South America.
Current opportunity: Wine Australia and University of Tasmania (UTAS) have developed a non-destructive NIRS-based predictive tool for determining grapevine bud fruitfulness in wine vineyards. The proof of concept system uses a portable NIR instrument, spectral fingerprinting and associated software to predict the level of fruitfulness to inform management decisions. An opportunity exists for a range of companies interested in developing products and services using the technology.
Other opportunities: The proof of concept data available for grape production may translate to other crops where estimation of bud fruitfulness will enhance management decision making.
- Demonstration of research: https://digiviti.indicium.cloud/
Opportunity led by
Related commercial opportunitiesSearch all commercial opportunities
Looking for engagement?
Showcase your commercialisation opportunity today.
Talk to our team to discuss how growAG. can connect your innovation to industry.
Have questions? Find answers to our most frequently asked questions on research projects, commercial opportunities, organisations and more.